by Ona Kiser, President
We are delighted to see that the projects we sought to help fund earlier this year are coming along well! After my recent visit to the seminary, I am happy to report:
1) Our supplemental donations for food and other necessities helped immensely during the period in which parish donations dwindled to a trickle. As people have begun to return to normal routines the donations of food have climbed up again, and the pantry is now well supplied with rice, beans, oil, eggs and other staples. Meat and chicken are less reliable, and pharmacy items continue to be costly, so we will continue to send some supplementary funding when we can, to help keep the seminarians in good health.
2) The library continues to grow, with hundreds of new books purchased. It can be hard to find texts in Portuguese, so they kept a sharp eye out for online offerings. They now have, for instance, the complete works of Saint Augustine, which is 50 volumes and cost BR$9000.00 (about US$1800). It is hard to find in Portuguese and was suddenly available, so they bought it immediately despite the high cost. They were also able to buy the complete works of Saint Jerome.
3) The big project of purchasing wardrobes for all the dormitory rooms is now paid for and underway. All the work is being done to order by local small businesses.
4) The sisters in Bom Jesus are very grateful for our donations that have helped with costly pharmacy items in particular. We will continue to send a portion to them whenever your donations make it possible.
5) The sisters’ music program remains unfunded at this time. We may re-address that in our fall campaign.
Many, many thanks for your ongoing support of this unique traditional community! May God repay you!
(by Ona Kiser, President)
I am not always able to be in Campos for ordinations, but was blessed on my recent visit to assist at the ordinations to the subdiaconate of two wonderful young men, João Bosco and Juaci, which took place on the feast of St. Augustine. May they be holy priests! Below are a few photos from the event taken by the seminarians in charge of media.
Please keep them in your prayers!
You can see more frequent photos of events from the seminary on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/seminarioic/
Friends of Campos, Inc.
Friends of Campos, Inc. is a US-based not-for-profit (501c3) which supports the social and educational projects of the Personal Apostolic Administration of Saint John Mary Vianney, most of which are located around the diocese of Campos dos Goytacazes in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.